Some family histories that have been or are being researched.
The library has publications for historical research.
When Mary Weaver organized a program about Rippey Baseball for the Greene County Historical Society, she decided to share an article for the Rippey News. This site encourages others to share their own memories of Baseball in Rippey!
Rippey baseball was well-known in the baseball circles of the past.
Rippey Baseball a Fond Memory
Rippey, Iowa was improving enough in 1882 to have an article written about it. The farmers were recovering from low land values and continuing to forge ahead, as farmers usually do. As they succeeded, so did the town.
Memorial services held at Old Rippey in 1897 were very moving to the local residents. The Kinkead-Martin Legion Post of Rippey continues the tribute to these veterans on Memorial Day each year. The Washington Township Trustees oversee the well-kept cemetery and it is a lovely place to visit....Jean Borgeson
Rippey, Iowa Main Street; north side corner of Main and 3rd St.; July 13, 1916
The news article from the Rippey Booster announcing the first day of school in the new building and school district.
B. F. Osborn at the Rock in the Legion Park, later known as Osborn Park in Rippey, Iowa, taken at the dedication on November 7, 1926.
November 5, 1957 election to change town name from "New Rippey" to "Rippey".
RIPPEY---The residents of Rippey may finally see their city’s mural completed if seven diligent, paint-splotched women have their way. They hope to be finished in time for Rippey Fun Days in August.
Rippey, Iowa Grain Elevator, Clark Brown Elevator, built along the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railroad; Picture taken July 13, 1916. The structure was destroyed by fire in about 1920 and a new building was erected by this company, who retained ownership until it, together with other elevators owned by them in adjacent towns, was sold to the Milligans. (from pg. 136 in Rippey History Book, article by Jay States.
Even in 1919 it was hard to get people to attend their meetings!
Some memories of Old Rippey schools as told by Dr. H. E. Lovejoy, as told in 1939
News article detailing the 50th wedding anniversary of Dr. and Mrs. J. C. Lovejoy
Early teachers in the Old Rippey School as remembered by J. C. Lovejoy in 1894
Irving Lovejoy wrote a letter of memories of Old Rippey, to Claude Johnson, who was helping gather information for the Rippey History book that was being published. it finally got published in 1956. Amazing, with only "snail mail" available at that time. It took a lot of work by a lot of people, but it is a good reference for anyone interested in Rippey history.
Rippey Consolidated School, 1921, Picture
From The Globe Free Press, May 29, 1969 BURN OLD SCHOOL BUILDING SUNDAY The Rippey Fire Department in cooperation with Fire Service Extension, Iowa State University, Fire Departments in Greene County as well as fire departments in nearby cities, will be burning the two and a half story brick schoolhouse in Rippey at 12 noon, Sunday, June 12.
Greene County Iowa, Washington Township Memories from pioneer, Mrs. George (Jenny Stevens) Selsor, Feb. 1931
Jenny (Stevens) Selsor remembers her early days in southern Washington Township, Greene County, Iowa. She was the great-grandmother of Virgene Morse, of rural Rippey, IA. Jenny's parents are buried in the Bowers/Angus Cemetery located in southern Washington Township.
Two letters were found in the Rippey Library written to John H. Van Scoy. The first was from his brother, Jacob, detailing the wounds of his nephew, Aaron Van Scoy. The second letter was from his son, James detailing the death of John's nephew, Jacob Van Scoy, in the Civil War.
Phil Roberts, of Rippey, and Marolyn McDiemid, from Pittsboro, NC became acquainted for the first time on September 15, 2013 after discovering they share the lineage of Francis Marion and Agnes (Klepper) Carpenter.