Friends of Rippey News Website Link
The Rippey Fire Department welcomed the community to their open house on April 9, 2016. The trucks and equipment were on display for all to see.
Keith Devilbiss, 1956 graduate of Rippey Consolidated School, puts the finishing touches on the monument that was built with the bricks from the school demolition. The time capsule will be completed during the summer of 2015.
The copper box is found during demolition! The Rippey Alumni will open it at their annual meeting on May 23, 2015.
Demolition of Rippey Consolidated School October 2014
Voters pass Special Election to Consolidate East Greene and Jefferson Scranton School Districts, Feb. 5, 2013
The Special Election to consolidate the East Greene and Jefferson-Scranton School Districts passed on February 5, 2013.
The Rippey High School boys 1924-1925 basket ball team finished third in the Round Robin State Tournament.
Lester "Mick" Johnson in front of Johnson and Son Meat Market circa 1913-1919, in Rippey, IA. Saul Johnson is Lester's father. In 1919, Lester and Winnie (Burk) daughter of Amos and Cora (White) Burk, moved to Gilbert, AZ where her parents, Amos and Cora (White) Burk had moved several years before. Lester and Winnie's daughter, Geraldine Emmett, was 101 years old on July 18, 2016. She lives in Prescott, AZ.
The history of the Burk Auto Company, reprinted from the article in the Rippey History Book, published for the centennial in 1970
The news article from the Rippey Booster announcing the first day of school in the new building and school district.
Rippey Consolidated School, 1921, Picture
The Rippey Iowa High School boys 1924-1925 basket ball team finished third in the Round Robin State Tournament.
From article published in the Jefferson Herald, September 9, 1970 Rippey old-timers turned back the clock more than 30 years Sunday afternoon when former Rippey baseball players went a few innings for the enjoyment of Centennial participants. Among the veterans of former Rippey teams were (from left) Dwight Crumley, of Rippey, Raymond Crumley of Des Moines, Harold Radebaugh of Des Moines, Joe Fouch of Rippey, Merval Moraln of Ames, Burt Councilman of Ogden, John Rinker of Boone and Steve States of San Jose, CA.
From the Rippey History Book, published in 1956: After the February 7, 1912 fire in his blacksmith that almost took the lives of Ernest Clapp and his brother, Edgar, who was helping him at that time, Mr. Clapp built another shop in another location. In June, 1912 he purchased two lots from Jake Rohrer, and built a large brick structure which stood across the road north from the Hanson Lumber Company. In June 1942, this building had to be torn down to make way for Highway No. 144. Mr. Clapp now moved his equipment to the former Howard Implement Building which he purchased from Halsey Munson and which now (1955) is his present location.
There will be a community meeting on May 25, 2011 at 6:00 p. m. in the community building, regarding possible changes regarding how future mail service wil be provided to the Rippey community.
Mary Weaver's account of visiting the various sites of the Rippey Wind Farm, July 4, 2012
Much progress is being made on the Rippey Wind Farm
The long awaited project of tearing down the four abandonded buildings in Rippey, began on Monday, February 27, 2012.
A new look for Rippey. It only took a week for the demolition to be completed.
From The Globe Free Press, May 29, 1969 BURN OLD SCHOOL BUILDING SUNDAY The Rippey Fire Department in cooperation with Fire Service Extension, Iowa State University, Fire Departments in Greene County as well as fire departments in nearby cities, will be burning the two and a half story brick schoolhouse in Rippey at 12 noon, Sunday, June 12.
Rippey Skating Rink has been started and with all the donations and volunteers working together, should be finished by November, 1955. It will be a great addition to the Martin Park and the town.
November 5, 1957 election to change town name from "New Rippey" to "Rippey".
Rippey, Iowa business, Overman Barber Shop operated by LeRoy Overman, in the basement of the Crumley-States building until moving to the back of Overman Beauty Shop operated by his wife, Eloise. LeRoy "Shorty" was a barber in Rippey from 1945 to August of 2005. Picture taken in 1994.
Even in 1919 it was hard to get people to attend their meetings!
The General Election is today. Polls open from, 7:00 a. m. to 9:00 p. m. in all general election precincts.
News and Events Archive for January
Events at the Rippey Library!
The Washington Winners 4-H Club met for their regular meeting on January 9, 2011.
In 1946 LeRoy “Shorty” and Eloise Overman bought a building on the south side of Main Street that had been a meat market, and remodeled it into a beauty shop with an apartment in the back. There, they lived until moving to the home they purchased. The apartment was eliminated when the shop was again remodeled to add another beautician, Carolyn Monthei in August of 1969. The Masonic building was torn down in 1992 and “Shorty” moved his shop to the back of Eloise’s shop. He operated his business for 13 years until ill health forced him to retire in August of 2005, after 60 years, barbering in Rippey After 59 years as a beautician, 53 of those years in Rippey, Eloise retired in 1999.
Hotel built about 1876 by J. C. Oaks, Rippey, Iowa, on lots 15 and 16, corner of Main and Third Street. The Oakes Hotel flourished from 1876 to 1896 when Frank Brown operated the Brown Hotel. In March 1901 it was sold to Ebenezer Davenport. James T. Morse was the proprietor from September 1903 to June, 1905. In 1909 Charles States bought it making it into two different residences in the southwest part of town. These two homes are the on Carpenter Street directly west of the water tower. In 1910, Charles States and Halsey Crumley then built the cement block building used for their general store. From Rippey History Book published in 1956 and 1970.
Card is postmarked June 7, 1909 and addressed to Miss Brydee Neeham, Austin Nebr. "Dear Cousin, I will send you one of my pictures of a ditchin crue where I work - the first fellar at the left is Charley *Finnie, then Bert John, then myself, then Ed John and Joshua Collins. From Harvey Hiddleson." Bert John married Harvey's sister, Edith, so they were brothers-in-law. *Finley
On back of picture: Rippey School building located on the north half of block #19 built in 1884 and torn down in 1913. The contract price for building this school house was $2,400.00. The Independent School District of Rippey was organized from the district township of Washington May 24, 1884. From Rippey History Book, 1970: This school had 11 grades and was in operation until the brick building was built in 1912.
Greene County Gaming Association, presented $3,500 to City of Rippey on April 4, 2016.
Filed under: General