You are here: Home / Rippey Stuff! / Rippey Blacksmith and Harness Shop, Ernest J. Clapp

Rippey Blacksmith and Harness Shop, Ernest J. Clapp

From the Rippey History Book, published in 1956: After the February 7, 1912 fire in his blacksmith that almost took the lives of Ernest Clapp and his brother, Edgar, who was helping him at that time, Mr. Clapp built another shop in another location. In June, 1912 he purchased two lots from Jake Rohrer, and built a large brick structure which stood across the road north from the Hanson Lumber Company. In June 1942, this building had to be torn down to make way for Highway No. 144. Mr. Clapp now moved his equipment to the former Howard Implement Building which he purchased from Halsey Munson and which now (1955) is his present location.

Rippey Business, Blacksmith and Harness Shop, E. J. Clapp

Jefferson Bee March 27, 1912: E J. Clapp has purchased the property east of the Radabaugh and Munson grain office on which he will erect a new brick building 40x60 This is a good location for a blacksmith shop and will help build, up the town.  people unidentified.

This building was part of several buildings that were torn down to make way for the new highway right-of-way that followed the railroad through Rippey and on down to Angus during the summer of 1942.