You are here: Home / Rippey History/Genealogy / Rippey Iowa Baseball a Fond Memory

Rippey Iowa Baseball a Fond Memory

Rippey Baseball a Fond Memory

Written in 2011 for the Greene County Heritage History Book



Martin Memorial Park


In 1940, the ground was purchased with money raised by the people of the community, as well as the Martin family. The park was named for George Martin, who was the only surviving Civil War Veteran in Greene County at that time. Robert George Martin had celebrated his 90th birthday in August, 1939, with a party given by his daughter-in-law, Mrs. Mabyl Martin, wife of the late Dr. Worley G. Martin who died June 7, 1933. Their interest in helping the community with this park and baseball field, led them to donate a large portion of the money for this project.

Rippey Baseball


After the funds were secured in 1940 for the Martin Park, the baseball diamond was immediately mapped out, and became one of the finest in the state. The lights were erected in 1949. The field was maintained by volunteers, mostly of the local men and the high school boys. This is detailed in the Rippey History Book, published in 1970.

Continuing the long heritage of baseball in Rippey, the new field was home to the high school, boys 13 and 14, and a midget team, for boys 12 and under.

The baseball field was named Walt Anderson Field in 2003, in memory of Walt, who was an avid fan and supporter of Rippey Baseball, all his life.

The Rippey Baseball teams participated in several Semi-Pro Leagues throughout the years, playing every town within 100 miles. In 1961 they celebrated 50 consecutive years of Semi-Pro baseball at Rippey. An "Old Pro" game was played on August 19 with 54 old timers present.

The field is home to the East Greene Hawks, and both the high school and Jr. High teams keep the tradition going. The high school team were state qualifiers in 2009. The lights continue to shine on a summer’s night at the Rippey Baseball Field.

**The vote to consolidate the school systems of Jefferson-Scranton and East Greene passed on February 5, 2013.  The future use of the ball field is yet to be determined, as of February, 2013.