You are here: Home / Rippey History/Genealogy / Rippey, Iowa Old Landmark Sold, November, 1955

Rippey, Iowa Old Landmark Sold, November, 1955

The building in which B. F. Osborn established his drugstore in 1878 was bought by Wilton Killam, who owns the hardware store to the west.

Globe Free Press  November 10, 1955  Grand Junction, Iowa, Rippey News

Killam Purchased Rippey Landmark

B. F. Osborn Buildings, Rippey, Iowa

                C. W. Killam has purchased the Wall feed building east of his hardware store and will use it for a feed store.  Mr. Killam plans eventually to tear it down and rebuild.

                The building is one of the landmarks of Rippey.  It was the building in which B. F. Osborn established his drugstore in 1878 and continued there until the erection of the corner brick building in 1910.  The old building was then moved to the lot east where it was used for a millenary shop by Enolia Osbun, later as a barber shop, which was operated by Ralph Bayard.  A cream buying station was also located in the front of the building at one time.

                Shortly after World War II, Darwin Hiddleson of Perry leased the building and had a branch office for his funeral director business.  He continued here until John Evans purchased it for a produce station, later selling it to Chester Wall, who continued the produce business until June, 1954.  It has remained unused since that time.

                The upper story for many years was the home of the Osborn family, later was used for a telephone exchange, also a picture studio, which accounts for the glass skylight on the east side.  Many families have lived in these rooms and if only the walls could speak, many interesting tales of early Rippey, being amazing and interesting, could be told.