You are here: Home / Images

Images

Images used throughout the web site
Rippey IA Main Street Before 1910 and Before the 1912 Fire

Rippey IA Main Street Before 1910 and Before the 1912 Fire

Main Street Rippey before 1910. The cinder block building on the corner, owned by Crumley and States, was finished in 1910.

Rippey IA Main Street Before 1910 and Before the 1912 Fire - Read More…

Summer Reading with Wilmuth Peters

Summer Reading with Wilmuth Peters

Wilmuth Peters, reading a book to the kids attending the Summer Reading program.

Summer Reading with Wilmuth Peters - Read More…

Andrea Williams, Rippey Librarian, March, 2015 to March, 2016

Andrea Williams, Rippey Librarian, March, 2015 to March, 2016

Rippey welcomed their new librarian. In spite of problems with the septic tank, Andrea Williams weathered her first week well. Please stop in, introduce yourself, and welcome Andrea to Rippey. Williams grew up in Pocahontas and graduated from Iowa State University with a degree in English literature with minors in technical communication and history. She is currently taking courses online through the University of Wisconsin-Madison to earn her master’s degree in library and information studies, and hopes to graduate in August of 2016. She married in August of 2014, and currently lives with her husband in Boone. Andrea was honored at a farewell open house on March 24, 2016. Andrea has accepted a new, full time job in Boone. Many came to say goodbye and wish her well as she takes this new path in her life. The library board thanked her for her year at Rippey.

Andrea Williams, Rippey Librarian, March, 2015 to March, 2016 - Read More…

LaVere Derry and Bob Glenn

LaVere Derry and Bob Glenn

Brushy Creek Honor Flight, September 19, 2015. Picture taken by Jean Borgeson

LaVere Derry and Bob Glenn - Read More…

Rippey Blacksmith, Implement and Odd Fellows buildings before May 13, 1914 Demolition

Rippey Blacksmith, Implement and Odd Fellows buildings before May 13, 1914 Demolition

The Blacksmith, Implement and Odd Fellows Buildings in Rippey, Iowa, before May, 13, 1914. An excerpt from the Jefferson Bee May 13, 1914: "By the time this issue of the Booster gets to our readers, the old Odd Fellows building that has stood on main street for over a quarter of a century, will have disappeared. The building was sold some time ago to M. Feith, owner of the Buckeye Coal Mines, and he has a force of men at work wrecking the building, and hauling the material out to his farm south of town, where it will be used in building a barn." The dedication of the new brick building that housed the Odd Fellows Lodge was held in December 1914. From Alice Grow collection donated by her daughter, Doris Brown to Jean Borgeson in 2010.

Rippey Blacksmith, Implement and Odd Fellows buildings before May 13, 1914 Demolition - Read More…

Burk Ford After 1912 Fire, Rippey, Iowa

Burk Ford After 1912 Fire, Rippey, Iowa

Burk Ford after the repairs made after the fire in 1912. From Alice Grow collection, donated by daughter, Doris Brown to Jean Borgeson in 2010.

Burk Ford After 1912 Fire, Rippey, Iowa - Read More…

Burk Ford in Rippey, Fire 1912

Burk Ford in Rippey, Fire 1912

The Burk Ford business pictured after the fire in 1912. From Alice Grow collection, donated by daughter, Doris Brown to Jean Borgeson in 2010.

Burk Ford in Rippey, Fire 1912 - Read More…

Rippey, Iowa Main Street, 1913

Rippey, Iowa Main Street, 1913

Rippey, Iowa Main Street, June 13, 1913 written on back of picture. Rippey history book says extreme east end of main street looking west, about 1900. In foreground is The Hood House, located on the south side of Main Street between 3rd and 4th street. J. F. M. Bradley was the proprietor in 1888. Alice Grow collection, donated by daughter, Doris Brown to Jean Borgeson in 2010.

Rippey, Iowa Main Street, 1913 - Read More…

Rippey, IA  Meat Market,  circa 1913-1919

Rippey, IA Meat Market, circa 1913-1919

Lester "Mick" Johnson in front of Johnson and Son Meat Market circa 1913-1919, Rippey, IA. Saul Johnson is Lester's father. In December, 1919, Lester and Winnie (Burk) daughter of Amos and Cora (White) Burk, moved to Gilbert, AZ where her parents, Amos and Cora (White) Burk had moved several years before. Lester and Winnie's daughter, Geraldine Emmett, was 103 years old on July 18, 2017 She lives in Prescott, AZ. She shared some Johnson/Burk family information when Velda DeMoss and Jean Borgeson stayed with her a couple times years ago. She and Velda share Johnson ancestors.

Rippey, IA Meat Market, circa 1913-1919 - Read More…

Harry McDowell Restaurant, Rippey, IA Built in 1917

Harry McDowell Restaurant, Rippey, IA Built in 1917

Harry McDowell bought the lot east of the Rippey Savings Bank in 1916. Jefferson Bee Feb. 9, 1916 "A business transaction occurred whereby Harry McDowell becomes owner of the restaurant formerly owned by D F Smith." He built the brick structure in 1917 with space for the restaurant and living rooms upstairs. Harry and Bertha were in this location until 1933 when they sold to David and Bessie Vance. Picture shared with Jean Borgeson from Velma Young Bandy. Velma was a first cousin of Jean's father.

Harry McDowell Restaurant, Rippey, IA Built in 1917 - Read More…

B. F. Osborn at the Memorial Rock in the park at Rippey, November 7, 1926

B. F. Osborn at the Memorial Rock in the park at Rippey, November 7, 1926

B. F. Osborn at the Rock in the Legion Park, later known as Osborn Park in Rippey, Iowa, taken at the dedication on November 7, 1926. From Alice Grow collection, donated by daughter, Doris Brown to Jean Borgeson in 2010.

B. F. Osborn at the Memorial Rock in the park at Rippey, November 7, 1926 - Read More…

Rippey, Iowa Main Street, July 13, 1916

Rippey, Iowa Main Street, July 13, 1916

Rippey, Iowa Main Street; north side corner of Main and 3rd St.; July 13, 1916. From Alice Grow collection, donated by daughter, Doris Brown to Jean Borgeson in 2010.

Rippey, Iowa Main Street, July 13, 1916 - Read More…

Rippey, Iowa Grain Elevator, Clark Brown Elevator, Built in Summer of 1917

Rippey, Iowa Grain Elevator, Clark Brown Elevator, Built in Summer of 1917

Rippey, Iowa Grain Elevator, Clark Brown Elevator, built along the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railroad in the summer of 1917. The structure was destroyed by fire in May 1920 and a new building was erected by this company, who retained ownership until it, together with other elevators owned by them in adjacent towns, was sold to the Milligans. The business was later sold in 1951 to a group of local farmers who organized as the Farmers Elevator Company (from pg. 136 in Rippey History Book, article by Jay States.) Picture from Alice Grow collection, donated by daughter, Doris Brown to Jean Borgeson in 2010.

Rippey, Iowa Grain Elevator, Clark Brown Elevator, Built in Summer of 1917 - Read More…

Rippey, Iowa Business, Crumley-States Building, Overman Barber Shop, 1994

Rippey, Iowa Business, Crumley-States Building, Overman Barber Shop, 1994

Rippey, Iowa business, Overman Barber Shop operated by LeRoy Overman, in the basement of the Crumley-States building until moving to the back of Overman Beauty Shop operated by his wife, Eloise. LeRoy "Shorty" was a barber in Rippey from 1945 to August of 2005. Picture taken in 1994 by Jean Borgeson.

Rippey, Iowa Business, Crumley-States Building, Overman Barber Shop, 1994 - Read More…

Rippey Iowa Business, Overman Beauty and Barber Shop

Rippey Iowa Business, Overman Beauty and Barber Shop

In 1946 LeRoy “Shorty” and Eloise Overman bought a building on the south side of Main Street that had been a meat market, and remodeled it into a beauty shop with an apartment in the back. There, they lived until moving to the home they purchased. The apartment was eliminated when the shop was again remodeled to add another beautician, Carolyn Monthei in August of 1969. The Masonic building was torn down in 1994 and “Shorty” moved his shop to the back of Eloise’s shop. He operated his business for 13 years until ill health forced him to retire in August of 2005, after 60 years, barbering in Rippey After 59 years as a beautician, 53 of those years in Rippey, Eloise retired in 1999. Compiled by Jean Borgeson with Carrie Monthei McCain and news articles. 2011

Rippey Iowa Business, Overman Beauty and Barber Shop - Read More…

Midge and her granddaughter and great-grandson 5 Dec 2015

Midge and her granddaughter and great-grandson 5 Dec 2015

Midge playing during the FOR Breakfast on December 5, 2015. Pictured with her are her granddaughter, Jenn and her son, Weston.

Midge and her granddaughter and great-grandson 5 Dec 2015 - Read More…

Rippey Amity Club Serving RAGBRI July 25, 1989 in Jefferson

Rippey Amity Club Serving RAGBRI July 25, 1989 in Jefferson

Rippey Amity Club Serving RAGBRI in Jefferson, IA, July 25, 1989. They served Baked potatoes with pizza, broccoli-cheese, chili, and cheese toppings.

Rippey Amity Club Serving RAGBRI July 25, 1989 in Jefferson - Read More…

Fry Auto Company, Rippey, IA; Organized in 1917

Fry Auto Company, Rippey, IA; Organized in 1917

Fry Auto Company Organized in 1917. Owners: Morris Fleming Fry died June 2, 1933 at the age of 73, in Rippey. George McKinley Fry died January 29, 1979 at the age of 83 in San Jose, CA. Everett “Jiggs” Claude Fry died October 13, 1986 at the age of 80, in Rippey.

Fry Auto Company, Rippey, IA; Organized in 1917 - Read More…

Rippey First National Bank Employees, 1968

Rippey First National Bank Employees, 1968

Rippey First National Bank Employees, 1968: Clark Bardole, Max Riley, Maybelle Wisecup, Myron Rinker.

Rippey First National Bank Employees, 1968 - Read More…

Crumley and States Store in Rippey, IA, 1908

Crumley and States Store in Rippey, IA, 1908

Rippey Business Crumley and States Store, 1908; W. H. Crumley, C. D. States co-partners; Jay States, ClerkFrom the article “States Looks Back Over the Past Year and Forward to the Future Years “Published in The Globe Free Press, The Rippey News, January 7, 1965.“….In this building I have personally spent 24 years behind the counters. This building has been occupied by members of the States family for a total of more than 38 years, by the Crumley and States, 5 years; by States Hardware, 14 years; and by States Sundries 19 years.” The building was erected in 1901 for William Radebaugh following a disastrous fire which destroyed several buildings along the north side of Main Street in that block. Later owners of the building have been Joseph Lampman, Mrs. Frank White and John Shoemaker. Other occupants of the building have been Radebaugh and Crumley, Radebaugh,Crumley and Company, J. H. Shoemaker, Frank Thompson, and L. A. Senter and Son, all of whom operated general merchandise stores, also A. V. Lauver.”… This building was given to the City of Rippey for the use of the Rippey Public Library in 1965.

Crumley and States Store in Rippey, IA, 1908 - Read More…

Lavina Fry, Rippey Library Board Member 1944 - 1979

Lavina Fry, Rippey Library Board Member 1944 - 1979

Lavina Fry was one of the first board members appointed to the Rippey Library in 1944. She resigned in June, 1979 after serving 35 years.

Lavina Fry, Rippey Library Board Member 1944 - 1979 - Read More…

Mildred Castles, Rippey  Librarian, 1944

Mildred Castles, Rippey Librarian, 1944

After the City of Rippey approved a Free Public Library, in August, 1944, therefore assuring the library board of funding from the city, the board was able to pay a librarian for her time and service. The library was formally organized in 1944-45 and the city council was asked to budget $298 for the library. The Rippey Savings Bank leased a small building on Main St.for $50 a year in which to house the library. Mrs. Mildred Castles served as temporary librarian and in 1945 Susie Wilson became the librarian. Mildred and her husband, Dr. William Castles moved to Dallas Center in early April, 1946. Source: library records and newspaper articles.

Mildred Castles, Rippey Librarian, 1944 - Read More…

Wilmuth Peters, Rippey Library Board Member, 1944 - 1979

Wilmuth Peters, Rippey Library Board Member, 1944 - 1979

Wilmuth Peters resigned from the Rippey Library Board in June, 1979 after serving in this capacity for 35 years. She was appointed to the board when the library was formally created by ordinance in June, 1944.

Wilmuth Peters, Rippey Library Board Member, 1944 - 1979 - Read More…

Board Members,  December 2014

Board Members, December 2014

Rippey IA Public Library Trustees and Librarian, December 2014. Dale Hanaman, Jean Borgeson, Sarah Killgore, Librarian, Jo Bardole, Carmen McColley, and Nancy Burrow

Board Members, December 2014 - Read More…

Toni Roberts Retires

Toni Roberts Retires

Toni is pictured at her retirement party, hosted by the Rippey Public Library Board of Trustees on September 19, 2012.

Toni Roberts Retires - Read More…

Rippey, Iowa Old Buildings, April 17, 2011

Rippey, Iowa Old Buildings, April 17, 2011

Jean Borgeson snapped this picture in anticipation of them being demolished. The library was the only building in use until the project was started to relocate it to the vacated Masonic Building.

Rippey, Iowa Old Buildings, April 17, 2011 - Read More…

Crumley and States Building Before Demolition, 1994

Crumley and States Building Before Demolition, 1994

Picture taken by Jean Borgeson. History of this building elsewhere on this site.

Crumley and States Building Before Demolition, 1994 - Read More…

Crumley and States Building Demolition, 1994

Crumley and States Building Demolition, 1994

Picture taken by Jean Borgeson in 1994. The history of the building is available in the Rippey History Book and on the Rippey Library and Friends of Rippey Web sites.

Crumley and States Building Demolition, 1994 - Read More…

Lester "Mick" Johnson Meat Market, circa 1913-1919

Lester "Mick" Johnson Meat Market, circa 1913-1919

Taken circa 1913-1919. Lester "Mick" Johnson was the youngest son of Saul and Josephine (Carney) Johnson. He married Winnie Burk, daughter of Amos and Cora (White) Burk. They moved to Gilbert, AZ in December, 1919. From information gathered for family trees of Velda DeMoss, Chuck and LaVere Derry, Larry Johnson, and Mary Cunningham by Jean Borgeson. Franklin Johnson had shared much in the 1980's, besides obits and news articles, etc.

Lester "Mick" Johnson Meat Market, circa 1913-1919 - Read More…