You are here: Home / About Our Library / History / Rippey Library History

Rippey Library History

The begining!

A little history, compiled by Jean Borgeson, in January, 2010

From The Jefferson Bee, June 20, 1944

 New Rippey Library

      A free public library for the town of Rippey was provided for by an ordinance recently passed by the town council, and a library board has been appointed by Mayor H. E. Van Horn.

     Included on the board are Mrs. Lester High, Mrs. E. C. Fry, Mrs. C. A. Senter, Mrs. D. M. Crumley, and Mrs. J. J. Peters.

     Several years ago an effort was made to have a library and many books were donated and several purchased. These will be used as a nucleus for the new library, and the board would appreciate further donations of good books and magazines.

     It may be necessary for the town and the library board to ask for a donation of funds with which to purchase books, since the tax levy is not available until next April. In addition, travelling library books will also be used, at least for the time being.

     Anyone interested in helping with the library or in obtaining information about it is invited to call or contact any of the members of the board, which has been given full charge of all arrangements.

 

From The Jefferson Herald, August 10, 1944

RIPPEY LIBRARY TO OPEN AUGUST 16th

      The Rippey library will be open to the public for the first time next Wednesday, Aug, 10, although the tax appropriation to support the project will not become available until next spring. With the spirited interest of the community and their combined efforts, a collection of books and equipment for the reading room has been gathered to start the project.

     A recent and sizeable gift is one of several hundred books of the library of the late W. E. Jenison, given to the library by Mrs. Jenison, who also gave the library a sectional bookcase.

     Mrs. Morton Wolfe and Miss Verna Lawton have donated magazines to be used by the library, the first in the town of Rippey.

 

From the Jefferson Herald, August 23, 1945

FIRST ANNIVERSARY FOR RIPPEY LIBRARY

      Last week marked the first anniversary of the opening of the Rippey Library to the public and the progress made has been very encouraging to those instrumental in starting the project.

     The small building used for this purpose was leased from the Rippey Savings bank, and has been improved and fitted with cases.

     The library board relied on donations of books and money from those interested until last April, when the money assessed for that purpose was available for use. This sum amounts to $350 per year, and several new volumes have been added the last few months.

     The volumes in the library total 1,326, and during the year the records show volumes loaned were 2,765. The total cash donated since the beginning is $212. Books were added as memorials for J. H. Van Scoy, R. G. Martin, C. A. Senter,  Windell Hankins and Jessie Marshall Missman.

     The library board at present includes Helen Crumley, Lavina Fry, Wilmuth Peters, Miriam High, and Mildred Castles. The ladies are very grateful for the cooperation of residents in this community and invite the public to come in an inspect and make use of this free public service.  Only a few of the newer fictions books require a fee.  

            Miss Evelyn Wilson has been the librarian during the summer months.  The position will be taken over Sept. 1, by Mrs. Mildred Castles.

 From and article by Mrs. Jay (Winnie) States, printed in the Globe Free Press, in March, 1965:

"When we think over the past and the efforts made by the first board, we marvel at the change that has constantly been made.

Previous to this time, 1928-1930, an effort had been made for a PTA library, which consisted of over 1825 good books, contributed by people of this locality. No room was available at the school building and the Pelly Mercantile Company, who occupied the Masonic building, cleared a portion of the rear of their store with a shelving unit for the collection. No record is available of this library but Mrs. Cale Ransom, now of Nashua, was instrumental in its origin.

After a time, interest began to lag and a committee of enterprising lady citizens started a reorganization movement. They called for books from people, who wished to help out and to their surprise, collected box after box on their trailer pickup and many were brought in later. This required a good sorting over of duplicates, etc. as room was limited and remainder were sent to other library centers.

The first board included Helen Crumley, Miriam High, Lavina Fry, Nellie Senter, Wilmuth Peters. Later Mrs. Senter resigned and was replaced by Mrs. Millie Castles. A few replacements have been made at various times to fill vacancies including Mrs. Mabyl Martin, who served for a number of years.

The Rippey Savings Bank should receive a worth mention in this project, having leased their building to the library board for $50 per year and even remodeled it for their use. Later they installed lights and were generous and considerate of the needs of the board. Later the back room was refinished for the overflow and fluorescent lights were installed.

To help with expenses, the board leased their room one year to a Perry attorney, one day each week. the ladies also did the cleaning to cut down overhead expenses.

The library board expressed to the town council the need for $298 which was granted and included in the annual town budget. The tax money from this budget estimate was received September 1945. At that time a librarian was hired with regular scheduled hours. From that time the progress and interest steadily increased."

Saturday, April 17, 1965, the library moved to its new location, which was formerly the Jay States Sundries Store. The trustees at that time were Lavina Fry, Miriam High, Cleone Killam, Wilmuth Peters, and Dorothy Scharingson.

In 2010, the library continues to be a vital part of the Rippey and surrounding community.  This has happened only because of the many board members and willing volunteers that have served over the years. The community is fortunate to have a library and as long as this support is in place, it will continue to serve patrons who choose to take advantage of it's services.