You are here: Home / Rippey Stuff! / Rippey, IA Businesses Through the Years

Rippey, IA Businesses Through the Years

A partial list of known businesses in Rippey, Iowa's Past.
Rippey Iowa Main Street; Oakes Hotel, Built about 1876

Rippey Iowa Main Street; Oakes Hotel, Built about 1876

Hotel built about 1876 by J. C. Oaks, Rippey, Iowa, on lots 15 and 16, corner of Main and Third Street. The Oakes Hotel flourished from 1876 to 1896 when Frank Brown operated the Brown Hotel. In March 1901 it was sold to Ebenezer Davenport. James T. Morse was the proprietor from September 1903 to June, 1905. In 1909 Charles States bought it making it into two different residences in the southwest part of town. These two homes are the on Carpenter Street directly west of the water tower. In 1910, Charles States and Halsey Crumley then built the cement block building used for their general store. From Rippey History Book published in 1956 and 1970.

Rippey Iowa Main Street; Oakes Hotel, Built about 1876 - Read More…

Rippey Businessman, A. M. Hull Sells Store, 1910

A . M Hull sold his stock of general merchandise , also the hardware and implements last week to Claude Johnson and James Chambers Jr. From the Jefferson Bee, December 7, 1910.

Rippey Businessman, A. M. Hull Sells Store, 1910 - Read More…

Rippey Business: Crumley-States Building, 1910-1926

Jefferson Bee March 30, 1910 The workmen are busy on the new brick building Crumley & States are erecting.

Rippey Business: Crumley-States Building, 1910-1926 - Read More…

Rippey, IA  Meat Market, circa 1913 -1919

Rippey, IA Meat Market, circa 1913 -1919

Lester "Mick" Johnson in front of Johnson and Son Meat Market circa 1913-1919, in Rippey, IA. Saul Johnson is Lester's father. In 1919, Lester and Winnie (Burk) daughter of Amos and Cora (White) Burk, moved to Gilbert, AZ where her parents, Amos and Cora (White) Burk had moved several years before. Lester and Winnie's daughter, Geraldine Emmett, lived in Prescott, AZ where she died April 30, 2019 at age 104. Velda DeMoss and I (Jean Borgeson) visited her AZ relatives and stayed with "Jerry" and her family a couple of times. She was very generous to share the Johnson/Burk family memories with us.

Rippey, IA Meat Market, circa 1913 -1919 - Read More…

Rippey, IA Blacksmith and Harness Shop, Ernest J. Clapp

From the Rippey History Book, published in 1956: After the February 7, 1912 fire in his blacksmith that almost took the lives of Ernest Clapp and his brother, Edgar, who was helping him at that time, Mr. Clapp built another shop in another location. In June, 1912 he purchased two lots from Jake Rohrer, and built a large brick structure which stood across the road north from the Hanson Lumber Company. In June 1942, this building had to be torn down to make way for Highway No. 144. Mr. Clapp now moved his equipment to the former Howard Implement Building which he purchased from Halsey Munson and which now (1955) is his present location.

Rippey, IA Blacksmith and Harness Shop, Ernest J. Clapp - Read More…

Rippey, Iowa Grain Elevator, Clark Brown Elevator Built 1917

Rippey, Iowa Grain Elevator, Clark Brown Elevator Built 1917

Rippey, Iowa Grain Elevator, Clark Brown Elevator, built along the Minneapolis & St. Louis Railroad; The structure was destroyed by fire in about 1920 and a new building was erected by this company, who retained ownership until it, together with other elevators owned by them in adjacent towns, was sold to the Milligans. (from pg. 136 in Rippey History Book, article by Jay States.) Fire was in May, 1922. Article elsewhere on this site states it was built in 1917.

Rippey, Iowa Grain Elevator, Clark Brown Elevator Built 1917 - Read More…

Rippey, IA Fry Garage History

Fry Garage was organized in 1917 by Morris Fleming Fry.

Rippey, IA Fry Garage History - Read More…

Clark Brown Grain Co. Build New Elevator at Rippey, 1917

Clark Brown Grain Co. Build New Elevator at Rippey, 1917

The Free Lance, Pg. 1; July 25, 1917 WILL BUILD NEW ELEVATOR The Clark Brown Grain Co. has the excavation all completed tor the basement for their new elevator. The new building will be 105 feet high with a full size basement, It will have a capacity ot 70,000 bushels, will have two dumps, and will be equipped with sheller and cleaner and be up to date in every way. The M. & St. L. will lengthen out the side track so as to give room for more cars on the track.—Rippey Booster.

Clark Brown Grain Co. Build New Elevator at Rippey, 1917 - Read More…

Harry McDowell Restaurant Rippey, IA, Built in 1917

Harry McDowell Restaurant Rippey, IA, Built in 1917

Harry McDowell bought the lot east of the Rippey Savings Bank in 1916. Jefferson Bee Feb. 9, 1916 "A business transaction occurred whereby Harry McDowell becomes owner of the restaurant formerly owned by D F Smith." He built the brick structure in 1917 with space for the restaurant and living rooms upstairs. Harry and Bertha were in this location until 1933 when they sold to David and Bessie Vance.

Harry McDowell Restaurant Rippey, IA, Built in 1917 - Read More…

Rippey , IA Grocery Store Owner Sells, October 1942

The Derry Grocery Store, owned by Floyd Derry, sold in Octoner, 1942 to Allen Senter.

Rippey , IA Grocery Store Owner Sells, October 1942 - Read More…

First National Bank, Rippey, IA, Employees, 1929

First National Bank, Rippey, IA, Employees, 1929

Pictured in 1929 are employees, Herbert Van Scoy and Ferne (States) Homes in the First National Bank, Rippey, IA.

First National Bank, Rippey, IA, Employees, 1929 - Read More…

Rippey, Iowa First National Bank Sold to Claus Loof, August, 1944

Claus Loof, president of the Peoples Trust & Savings bank of Grand Junction, purchased the interests in the First National bank of Rippey from the late John H. VanScoy, former cashier, and I. J Burk, both of Rippey, and the McCammon interests of Perry, thus acquiring substantially more than the majority of the outstanding stock, August, 1944.

Rippey, Iowa First National Bank Sold to Claus Loof, August, 1944 - Read More…

Rippey, Iowa Business, Overman Beauty and Barber Shop Established 1946

Rippey, Iowa Business, Overman Beauty and Barber Shop Established 1946

In 1946 LeRoy “Shorty” and Eloise Overman bought a building on the south side of Main Street that had been a meat market, and remodeled it into a beauty shop with an apartment in the back. There, they lived until moving to the home they purchased. The apartment was eliminated when the shop was again remodeled to add another beautician, Carolyn Monthei in August of 1969. The Masonic building was torn down in 1992 and “Shorty” moved his shop to the back of Eloise’s shop. He operated his business for 13 years until ill health forced him to retire in August of 2005, after 60 years, barbering in Rippey After 59 years as a beautician, 53 of those years in Rippey, Eloise retired in 1999.

Rippey, Iowa Business, Overman Beauty and Barber Shop Established 1946 - Read More…

Rippey Hardware Store, Wilton and Cleone Killam, 1952-1972

Wilton and Cleone Killam were owners of Killam Hardware from 1952-1972. They were among the many leaders in the community of Rippey, Iowa. Cleone, a Rippey native, was a teacher in the school system, a library board member for many years and both served their church and other organizations with their faithful support throughout their lives.

Rippey Hardware Store, Wilton and Cleone Killam, 1952-1972 - Read More…

Killam Hardware Store, August 1952

C. Wilton Killam purchased the hardware of Arthur V. Lauver and took possession September 15, 1952. He remained in business until Jan. 1972. In November 1955, he purchased the Wall feed building east of the hardware store, This building was one of the remaining early landmarks of Rippey, established by B. F. Osborn in 1878.

Killam Hardware Store, August 1952 - Read More…

Rippey, Iowa Old Landmark Sold, November, 1955

The building in which B. F. Osborn established his drugstore in 1878 was bought by Wilton Killam, who owns the hardware store to the west.

Rippey, Iowa Old Landmark Sold, November, 1955 - Read More…

Rippey, Iowa Business, Crumley-States Building, Overman Barber Shop, 1994

Rippey, Iowa Business, Crumley-States Building, Overman Barber Shop, 1994

Rippey, Iowa business, Overman Barber Shop operated by LeRoy Overman, in the basement of the Crumley-States building until moving to the back of Overman Beauty Shop operated by his wife, Eloise. LeRoy "Shorty" was a barber in Rippey from 1945 to August of 2005. Picture taken in 1994 by Jean Borgeson.

Rippey, Iowa Business, Crumley-States Building, Overman Barber Shop, 1994 - Read More…