You are here: Home / Rippey Recollections / Rippey, IA Memories by Clark Bardole, April 9, 1981

Rippey, IA Memories by Clark Bardole, April 9, 1981

Clark Bardole, after retiring from the First National Bank, reminisced about Rippey from the time he joined the bank in 1931 to his retirement in 1981. Ferne Holmes reported his memories for the Rippey News.

Clark Bardole Reminisces, 1981

Jefferson Herald, April 9, 1981; pg 9; Rippey News by Ferne Holmes

Clark Bardole, through some inquiries and research of records, has compiled a plat of Rippey business firms at the time he began working in the First National Bank, September 1931. Both sides of the three blocks of Main Street were lined, with active business establishments, plus those of adjoining side streets. Only two establishments remain in operation—the Rippey Savings Bank and the First National Bank, plus the Rippey post office, the Rippey school system and the Methodist Church. All have had a multiple turnover in employees during the last 50 years. Hugo Norgren was a teller in the Rippey Savings, and Clark was a teller in the First National, each having recently retired as executive vice presidents.

 Many of the family surnames are no longer in the telephone directory: Dr W. G. Martin, Dr J. H. Shipley; N. P. Burk, lumber dealer; B. F. Osborn, druggist; John Munson, grain dealer; H. E. Van Horn. Rippey Oil; J. H. Van Scoy and A. E. Jensen, bankers; John Dugan and Russell Radebaugh, rural mail carriers; Dr. G. W. Rail, veterinarian; E. J. Clapp, blacksmith; George Naylor, plumber; H. M. McDowell, restaurant; Sarah Pelley, Mack and Lulu Davis, groceries; George Crandell and Alex Towers,, produce buyers. Also, names of Shaw, Shoemaker, Gilliland, Rohrer, Crumley, States, Ira White, E. E. Tuttle; and Fisher, Frizelle and Mercer (carpenters), Garren, Glidden, Johns, Nicholas and Stroud.

Now, we are proud of the two park areas, the Rippey library, the American Legion building, the telephone building, post office on Main Street, beauty and barber shops, two service stations, repair shops, town hall, and the several sections of the Rippey Farmers Cooperative Association.