You are here: Home / Rippey Library History / Rippey, Greene Co., IA Public Library, First Board and Year

Rippey, Greene Co., IA Public Library, First Board and Year

News articles describing the first year since the ordinance was passed by the Rippey Town Council in June of 1944.
The begining!
A little history, compiled by Jean Borgeson, in January, 2010

From The Jefferson Bee, June 20, 1944

 New Rippey Library

      A free public library for the town of Rippey was provided for by an ordinance recently passed by the town council, and a library board has been appointed by Mayor H. E. Van Horn.

     Included on the board are Mrs. Lester High, Mrs. E. C. Fry, Mrs. C. A. Senter, Mrs. D. M. Crumley, and Mrs. J. J. Peters.

     Several years ago an effort was made to have a library and many books were donated and several purchased. These will be used as a nucleus for the new library, and the board would appreciate further donations of good books and magazines.

     It may be necessary for the town and the library board to ask for a donation of funds with which to purchase books, since the tax levy is not available until next April. In addition, travelling library books will also be used, at least for the time being.

     Anyone interested in helping with the library or in obtaining information about it is invited to call or contact any of the members of the board, which has been given full charge of all arrangements.


From The Jefferson Herald, August 10, 1944


      The Rippey library will be open to the public for the first time next Wednesday, Aug, 10, although the tax appropriation to support the project will not become available until next spring. With the spirited interest of the community and their combined efforts, a collection of books and equipment for the reading room has been gathered to start the project.

     A recent and sizeable gift is one of several hundred books of the library of the late W. E. Jenison, given to the library by Mrs. Jenison, who also gave the library a sectional bookcase.

     Mrs. Morton Wolfe and Miss Verna Lawton have donated magazines to be used by the library, the first in the town of Rippey.


From the Jefferson Herald, August 23, 1945


      Last week marked the first anniversary of the opening of the Rippey Library to the public and the progress made has been very encouraging to those instrumental in starting the project.

     The small building used for this purpose was leased from the Rippey Savings bank, and has been improved and fitted with cases.

     The library board relied on donations of books and money from those interested until last April, when the money assessed for that purpose was available for use. This sum amounts to $350 per year, and several new volumes have been added the last few months.

     The volumes in the library total 1,326, and during the year the records show volumes loaned were 2,765. The total cash donated since the beginning is $212. Books were added as memorials for J. H. Van Scoy, R. G. Martin, C. A. Senter,  Windell Hankins and Jessie Marshall Missman.

     The library board at present includes Helen Crumley, Lavina Fry, Wilmuth Peters, Miriam High, and Mildred Castles. The ladies are very grateful for the cooperation of residents in this community and invite the public to come in an inspect and make use of this free public service.  Only a few of the newer fictions books require a fee.  

            Miss Evelyn Wilson has been the librarian during the summer months.  The position will be taken over Sept. 1, by Mrs. Mildred Castles.